Thursday, November 19, 2009

Africa: Giving or Receiving?

At least once a day, I find myself thinking about Africa. Where I've been, where I'd like to go, the "problems", the "solutions", the cultures, the people....

Blog posts here and here last week brought me back to whether it is possible for someone in America to "do" anything at all to help such a vast continent with such great challenges. Am I kidding myself to think that a volunteer trip every other year to spend time at an orphanage will have any effect at all? That taking time to do crafts and projects with kids, or sharing hugs and tickles will be remembered for even a moment, once I have left? Perhaps not, but I'd like to remember this quote:

We can do no great things; only small things with great love.
~Mother Theresa

And I'd also freely admit, that I have gained far more by visiting Africa, and spending time with people there, then I have ever given in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment